This is a test to see if I can upload a FaceBook live recording.
What, When, Why – The destruction of the temple
I’m sharing the short form of my message as well as my mind map I created as I built this message.
Gospel Lesson: Mark 13: 1-8 The Destruction of the temple foretold
- Disciples point out the large stones of the building
- Jesus tells them that the temple will be destroyed
- WHEN? In fact – the temple was destroyed by the Romans in 70 CE
Perhaps Jesus was using the temple as a metaphor for himself?
- 4 disciples questioned Jesus about when this will happen
- Jesus tells them to beware – people who claim to be who they are not
- Wars, rumours of wars
- Earth quakes, famine
What about today? Birth pangs
- Tear down to build up
- Build up to create something new
- Our bodies sometimes lay us low for a while. We rest, we renew. Then, we arise. Refreshed and with new energy to face the dawn
What about us today?
- We still ask why bad things happen to good people; why this virus, why now?
- We ask when will it end?
- We ask what is the reason, the purpose.
We may not know all the answers today. Perhaps we’re not meant to fully understand.
However, look at what is accomplished, the new blessings we are seeing.
- Found new ways to worship
- Found new ways to reach out to people
- The church, the people, have been mobilized in new and meaningful ways
There is hope! This is what our faith brings for us.
Will you find hope this week? What are the blessings that you are seeing for the very first time?
How can you continue to grow and be the temple?
Below is the Mind Map I created in preparation. I use this tool most weeks.
No one likes to be told to stay home. Our lives in general are about being with others; sharing each others joys, sorrows, and so much more. So how do we manage?
In reality fresh air and sunshine is a good thing even when we are staying away from others.
What does life look like right now? The stores are restocking but many people are buying up more than they need. There’s whining about our favorite restaurants being shut down with pick up or delivery only. There’s moments when we decide to go out because we are tired of being stuck at home. Resist the urge to go shopping. Resist the urge to meet up with friends.
So what do we do? There is so much richness in our Sabbath time – our time apart. More time to write, to plan the summer garden, to tidy up the back of the cupboard, to read, to paint, to craft, and so much more. Of course most people’s ideas of a stay-cation are not about being home. What if we re-framed those thoughts?
What does staying home look like to you?
Today I am:
- knitting and spinning
- playing piano
- watching some classic movies
- spending time with Nick
- taking care of the bunnies
- household chores
But wait – this is a normal Tuesday for me.
What’s on your list today?
Stay safe and well dear friends of the earth. God bless.